Students find have always found difficulties in applying for placement to the different Public Universities in Uganda. This due to the many brochures for each Public Universities and the court order which dissembled the Public Universities Joint Admissions Board (PUJAB) leading to independent procedures and access respective placement.
Worse still some schools don’t have a staff in charge of career affairs especially in the rural areas or urban areas with a rural setting. The procedural guidelines are not affordable to everyone but I have assumed that with the increasing internet access even on mobile phones these days, a candidate can benefit from this service or pose a question on the email attached. Teachers and parents are also encouraged to use this material at no charge.
The purpose of this write up is to simplify the application to the 8 Public Universities which award government sponsorship on the following grounds:
a) 75% of the total number of slots are competed for nationally on merit. These slots are programmes identified by the National Council for Higher Education as critical area for national development.
b) The 25% are distributed as follows:
i) 40 slots are for talented sports students
ii) 64 slots are filled by persons with disabilities whose status is verified using proof by medical specialists and these include
Students with mobility appliances
Chronic medical problems which include- Sickle cell anaemia, Asthma, Epilepsy and albinism.
iii) 896 slots are competed for through district quota basing on the district population. However preference is given to candidates who sat ‘A’ level examinations at schools located in their home district. Home district is ascertained by a photocopy of the National Birth Certificate.
The public universities now total to 8 as follows;
1. Makerere University (MAK)
2. Kyambogo University (KYU)
3. Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST)
4. Gulu University (GULU)
5. Busitema University (BUS)
6. Muni University (MUNI)
7. Kabale University (KBU)
8. Lira University (LIRA)
Makerere University has got an affiliate institution where some of their Business programmes are run. This is known as Makerere University Business School (MUBS)
All new programmes don’t have a cut off weight and bear the term New in the column of the cut off weight.
How students can use this tool.
1) Look for the subject combination they have been doing at ‘A’ level. Students should avoid navigating through the all subject combinations because this is time wasting.
2) Look through the programmes offered from that combination government merit and make the best selection.
3) Look at the column for Essentials and Relevants which all total to 3 principal subjects. For the Essentials the grade obtains is/are multiplied by 3 (Grade x 3) and the grade obtained in the relevant subject(s) is/are multiplied by 2 (Grade x 2).
The grades for the principal subjects include A,B,C,D,E, O and F ranked from the highest level of excellence to the poorest as 6,5,4,3,2,1 and O points in descending order respectively. Other subjects done at ‘A’ level are called the subsidiary subjects and are multiplied by 1or 0 points. A candidate qualifies for 1 point if he or she obtains D1 up to C6. P7 to F9 does not earn a student a point.
4) Look at Last this year’s Cut off entry weight for the respective programmes. One qualifies for a programme at a respective university if the candidate obtains either the cut off weight or that above it. This is an addition of the total weight ‘O’ and ‘A’ levels.
The weight at ‘O’ level is a sum total of the grades obtained on the following criteria:
A distinction (D1 and D2) = 0.3 points
A credit (C3, C4, C5 and C6) = 0.2 points
A pass (P7 and P8) = 0.1 points.
The government of Uganda has an affirmative action for the girl child. On top of what girl gets as total grade, 1.5 points is added for affirmative action to get a total weight.
5) Applications are made using a three letter code attached to the program.
The are 4,500 places sponsored by the government of Uganda which are going to be competed for by 124, 000 students for the academic year 2017/2018. Careful treatment of the application procedures will, keeping other factors constant, be very rewarding. Candidates from especially marginalized families are especially encouraged to read this information and use it.
Remember the deadline for application to public Universities is 30th January 2017 at 5:00pm.
However it is not wise to wait for the deadline. It is equally not wise not to apply. All forms are received by Makerere University as a collection centre. At the moment there is no on-line application. The forms are sold at Makerere University at a cost of 52,000/=
Candidates are also encouraged to help their friends from elsewhere to access this information because it is not private information. I wish the best as you apply.
Ssettuba William Edward
Dean Career Development Affairs
Mengo Senior School
+256 782 395 783